Luis Seabra Xisto Ilimitado Tinto 2018
WINEFRONT: GARY WALSH Posted on 28 January 2021.
Perfume, raspberry, something like wet leaves, some pepper. Medium-bodied, fine-boned, raspberry and sour-cherry strewn with herbs, fine pumice stone tannin, fresh cranberry acidity, and a lively finish. Lovely. Needs a little more time.
Rated : 93+ Points
Luis Seabra Xisto Ilimitado Tinto 2015 – PREVIOUS VINTAGE REVIEW
On the back label it says: ‘This wine has not been approved by the competent authority of the region because it does not have characteristics corresponding to the region’s wine and presents a non-characteristic defect.’ 30% Touriga Franca, 20% Tinta Amarela, 20% Tinta Roriz, 10% Rufete, 10% Tinta Barroca, 5% Malvasia Preta, 5% Donzelinho Tinto. Vines in the Cima Corgo planted from 1960 to 1980 in schist soil at 400–600 m (1,232–1,968 ft) elevation. Very high thermal amplitude. 30% fermented in stone lagar with foot pigeage, the other 70% in vat. 100% whole cluster fermentation. Maceration – lagar for eight days; vat for 25 days. Racked to neutral barrels for one year followed by five months in tank. 100% natural yeast fermentation (no cultivated yeasts).
Deep purple crimson. Lightly floral with a light touch of vanilla sweetness but no strong oak influence. There a rocky character too. Firm but super-smooth in texture, chocolate-like texture without chocolate sweetness. Chewy, sweeter fruited than the Xisto Cru, more blueberry than hedegerow. Quite a definite floral note on the nose at first. Dry and finely textured. Youthfully packed with fruit and finishes full in the mouth but fresh. 17.5++ Julia Harding MW www.jancisrobinson.com